Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I know, 2 posts in a day!
I've been musing about something here (Some people would call that dangerous!)
I do surf various sites, some blogs etc like everyone else and I came across some thoughts about a certain Bill that is going through Parliament at the moment. It has a very long and quite boring name : The Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill. Now I read about this in the Sunday paper a few weeks ago, and although I dont pretend to understand everything about it, you know when something doesnt sit right?
Apparently it gives Ministers the right to ammend some legislation without 'bothering' Parliament and wasteing their time. Sounds very sweet of them doesnt it?
Well, there are some safguards in place such as, you cant use the powers to raise taxes, or impliment any new criminal offences that can cause someone to be imprisoned for 2 years or more. (I think I got that right)
Ofcourse we trust our present Government implicitly....
but, what would stop some Minister in the future changing the actual safguards in the bill, and not bother to tell parliament as there isnt any safeguards to protect the safeguards?
Now I dont pretend to be a clever person, but with this Bill, and all the stuff about ID cards, things just seem fishy.
I'm sure I'll have got some things mixed up, but there is a Wiki entry about the Bill. Heres the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legislative_and_Regulatory_Reform_Bill
and you can get info here:
http://www.libertycentral.org.uk/
Sorry the links aren't clickable, but I dont know how to do that!

No comments: