Saturday, December 20, 2008

Just a quick post....

For the last 5 days I have been battling a virus on my PC, and what a pesky devil it was. It blocked access to most of my scanners, I couldn't access PC security websites and when I got something working it wouldnt update. Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome where unusable, the only browser I could do anything with was Opera. So whether that is a recommendation or not I couldn't say, but the fact speaks for itself.

In the end I thought I'd have a look for scanning software that wasn't so well known, because if I was one of those little rats who write these things, I would block the most popular types of software and sites. Anyway, I found these 2 progs, called Norman Malware cleaner, and the other called Dr Web Cureit! I dont know which one got the little beastie (or beasties as it turned out) but they freed up everything and my anti virus started to kick in big time, and the scanners that wouldn't update/work before suddenly did!

I was on the verge of re-formatting and starting from scratch, so thank God for that! I found both pieces of software here

4 comments:

phil said...

i might try these when my version of windows live care runs out in 3 months. i got this when i got a new laptop and am really pissed off when i found out that as with all anti virus software you have to pay again after a year, what a bloody scandal. still i suppose micro soft have to boost their profits somewhere.

airliebird58 said...

Well those progs I mentioned where malware scanners not anti virus progs. There are some really good free anti-virus software out there. At the mo I use Avira Antivir personal, then theres Avast! and AVG Free.
If you go to www.filehippo.com and the site I mentioned in my post you can find loads of free software.

phil said...

i am at present using avast on the computer im typing this on, one care is on my laptop. i thought a new laptop i will get a proper anti virus........what a mistake.

airliebird58 said...

I have never used a paid anti virus, being a nipcorren and that :) Even this time Avira did pick up the sodding thing, but I clicked on 'refuse access' instead of quarantine. Durning reading up on everything, I think I got hit by a few things all at once. I used IE to do an online scan, then I read about the security issue with that. Then one of my Firefox addons suddenly updated itself, and I've just read about a rogue addon with that!
Now I'm having problems with a Java update. Looks like I might have to re-format and re-install after all!