Friday, July 25, 2008

Forgetting their roots.

I have posted about this subject before and I return to it now in the light of the Glasgow East by-election defeat for the Labour government. Although the SNP only won by 300+ votes a majority of 13,507 was overturned.
By all accounts Glasgow East isn't a salubrious place. I heard a fact on the radio that was quite stunning. One part of the constituency has a male life expectancy of 53! Yes you read that right, 53. Although we are a rich country, well rich enough to give millions of aid away abroad, we still have pockets of poverty in this country that are a disgrace!
The Labour Party was founded in 1900, and evolved primarily through the trade union movement to be a voice for the ordinary working man.
Well that goal was turned away from in my opinion with the arrival of Tony Blair, the party sold their soul for power, and now it's starting to bite them in the arse. I come from a family and an area of Labour voters where it was nigh on a sin to vote for anyone else. (I still could never vote for the Conservatives) But you are seeing the rock base of Labour turning away. My area hasn't in a general election yet, but we have locally by electing a Lib-Dem Council.
Labour has got to start listening to people and fast, because God help us if that fop Cameron gets in!
Come on Gordon Brown, I thought you would be better than this, remember no matter how high and mighty you are, and how little democracy we really have in this country, you are in charge because of the people, the ordinary working people of the UK!

6 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

You are so right with what has been happening around the country from quite a time now.
I grew up in much the same area as yourself, big council estate where everyone voted labour.
I actually believe the political parties are blending into one at some middle ground and to be honest I find it impossible to find a current politition that I can relate to. I once heard somebody describe Tony Blair as more conservative than the conservatives, don't know if I'd go that far but its a thought.
Labour are failing, the conservatives are dangerous & the liberals are just telling everyone what they want to hear and their problems would start the day they have to keep their promises.

We need a leader that we trust and will do things for the benefit of the people they represent although I doubt that person exists, talking is one thing producing results is another. The bottom line is I really do believe the lot of the current crop from MP's to local government are just in it for themselves.

airliebird58 said...

I think one of the real problems nowadays with politics is that most of the politicians have being an MP as there only career. Most have never held down a normal job and lived a normal life. What we need is an intelligent fella (or lady) that has had to work hard for a living, then suddenly won the lottery and decided to go into Parliament!
It is so scary how little choice there is. I honestly think the BNP could really make headway if Labour don't sort themselves out!

Mick & Cathy said...

I agree the BNP will make headway because the rest are screwing thigs up so much and playing into their hands. However it will only be a few local council seats and they wont get one MP.

airliebird58 said...

I hope you're right! I still believe the British are very fair (to a fault at times)and I would be very surprised if they (the BNP) got into Westminster.

phil said...

every thing i was going to say was said by mick in his first comment, I do honestly believe blair is the best PM the conservatives have ever had. and i think he is very cunning, he saw all the shit about to hit the fan and said to brown "well, you wanted the job, so there you go fella.....ave it". The worst thing that happened to this country happened when john smith died. I believe he was the man to take us forward.

airliebird58 said...

Do you know you are spot on Phil. I remember standing and crying in the kitchen when I heard on the radio that John Smith had died. Ok maybe that sounds a bit over the top, but maybe I had a premonition who was coming, that no good twat Tony Blair!