Thursday, October 05, 2006

How far we've come.

A few short years ago, Hull FC where in trouble. Our owner was an idiot (yes David Lloyd I mean you!) and we where fast going to the wall, infact it was on the cards.
I wont go into all the details, and how certain factions did their best to make sure we did go to the wall. But in the end we were saved by the Super League merging us with Gateshead, a pet project of theirs to promote the game in the North East that had gone to pot.
The club was re-formed and we continued on. Finally moving to the KC Stadium and we haven't looked back.
I remember how I felt when I thought my club was going to dissapear. I, to be honest, was devastated. Ok, I know that sounds a bit over the top in the scheme of things, but I really love Hull FC, and all the fun, excitement, misery and everything else they have given me. I love all the fabulous fans who seem to, like I mentioned in a previous post, interlink with the team to such an extent that theyre as good as having an extra player.
Tomorrow night is one (if not THE biggest) game in the clubs history. 80 minutes away from the Grand Final. A win and they cant say we bottle the big games, that were not as good as our position suggests. A win and they HAVE to acknowledge us, and how good we are!
Go and get em my lads! Pay back time for the Bulls methinks!!!

8 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

I remember the Gateshead thing, it reminds me of the French farce this year.
Why can't Super League just let teams perform on merit and play under the same rules.

I reckon if your lot can get to the Final St Helens are due a fall.

Good Luck

airliebird58 said...

Its killing me that I cant be there. But I'll be back up and running (well, maybe not running lol) for the Grand Final if we win!

phil said...

you say the merger was to promote the game in the north east............what a joke, all you did was close down gateshead, brought shaun mc crae and a couple of the better players to hull and said sod you to the north east!!!! in fact you were no better than asset strippers, and even the most ardent hull fan can never argue with that. at least if rovers get to super league this town will finally have a hull team in there and not just one from the north east.

airliebird58 said...

Now Phil, hold your horses! What I said was Gateshead was a project by the SL to promote RL in the NE, that was the reason it was set up originally. It didnt work, and SL ended up loosing money hand over fist.
I didnt go into the 'factions' in my post because the truth (as far as I know it) is this.
Hull FC was going to re-form and if you recall apply to join NF1? Certain elements connected to Rovers on the NFL board where going to block that aplication come Hell or high water. I remember sitting listening to radio humberside, expecting to hear that the application had been turned down, and that would have been the end of Hull FC. But the merger with Gateshead was announced instead. Super league knew they couldnt afford to loose the fan base.
I also say this to jibes about 'Gateshull' etc, that if the boot was on the other foot, you'd have bitten the hand off of Super League too!
The thing is, Rovers would have picked up very few fans really. West Hull RL club would have ended up being the best supported amateur side in the country!
So there!

phil said...

actually hull kr did not get the option, when hull were having financial trouble and nearly went out of business, the RL came up with this idea to keep them alive, when rovers were struggling we had to go into arrrangements with creditors and fight our way back, which makes our rise an even better achievement, this has nothing to do with fans but with the simple fact that the RL do not want two teams from hull in super league, if rovers win next week and the fans misbehave, there will be a big clamour to not promote us, they will look for any excuse.
when the super league was set up they said no team that hasnt got its financies in order would be allowed to stay, hull and london seem to be exempt from this.and as for your original post.

airliebird58 said...

I hope that Rovers do it tomorrow, I really do.
One thing that will always give us a good chance of being safe if these francises come into play, is the away support of Hull and Rovers. Other teams enjoy the revenue.
I've said this before and I'll say it again. If Rovers where in the same position as we were, you'd have bitten the Superleagues hand off. Anyone who denies that needs a long rest in a darkened room!

phil said...

like i said we werent given the chance, we got no help, we didnt get our debts wrote off like you did, we had to do it the hard way.

airliebird58 said...

Our debts didnt get 'wrote off' Selling the Boulevard paid off a lot of that debt. OK the stadium was a marvellous stroke of luck for the club. But Rovers have had favours done for them too by this council, and will do in the future, so I wouldn't chuck stones in a glass house!