Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A bit of a rant!

What is it with all these 'Celebrity' programmes on TV?? Off the top of my head (and no, I don't watch 'em) there's 'Celebrity Big Brother', 'Soapstar Superstar', 'Celebrity Who wants to be a millionaire', 'Strictly come dancing', 'Celebrities on Ice', there was one on Sky where celebs learned to do circus acts, 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' and many more. Now I have this theory that there are some rather lazy, but I bet well paid, TV executives, who sit in their offices thinking up programmes to inflict on the great unwashed. They have one hit and they recycle it ad infinitum!
Now to expand the subject a bit, I was watching Sky News today, and in a world where we are at war, untold people are being killed, and there's a good case to be made that the U.S. and U.K. are both led by warmongering nutters, THREE of the top stories where celebrity based. The Brits did rather well at the Golden Globe awards, which is fair enough I suppose. But do we really want to know about Naomi Campbell being up at court for throwing a phone at her maids head?? (incidentally if I'd have been the maid, she'd have eaten said phone!)
The 3rd story was about the very pretty Indian actress Shilpa Shetty being bullied in the Celebrity Big Brother house, by some of the other women in there. I'm sure its not very nice for her, but its hardly headline news is it?
Now there is this sort of conspiracy theory, that the masses are being 'dumbed down' on purpose, so we don't notice mostly what our governments are up too.
With folk watching this stuff day in day out, who can say it isn't true!

4 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

I totally agree I am so cheesed off with whats on the box nowadays I very rarely watch. My limit is either Sport or an occasional Film.

airliebird58 said...

Me too, the only things I watch now are sport, the news, and Stargate SG1 every now and again lol.

phil said...

hardly ever watch tele, its as you said laziness, and of course cheap tele, ok these celebs want paying. but think of the cash they save not making a series......actors pay, location costs, crews money, production costs, etc etc.and of course they get the added bonus of getting cash in from all the silly buggers that ring in at !.50 per min or what ever it costs. i wonder if the time will come when we can vote on how good a prime minister is doing and evict him on the spot only for another to come in and face the public vote every month or so, and so on and so on. i think president blair would have gone a long time ago

airliebird58 said...

I'd have had everyone ringing up to get rid of that numpty.
I still don't think he'll go quietly Phil. Something will happen, I can feel it in my bones. The man's too much of a power junkie to give it all up.
Hope I'm wrong!