Wednesday, November 29, 2006

'Great' Britain

We are supposed to be one of the richest countries in the world, we spend millions on stupid bloody wars and superficial stuff like the Olympic Games, (dont tell me it will generate income, WE will be paying for it for years to come) . We cant look after our own though.
I just read this today on the BBC News website and it made me sad and very angry.

"Forty years on from Cathy Come Home, in which a family forced to sleep rough had their tiny children taken into care, that remains the worst fear of the 130,000 children made homeless through no fault of their own.

At 5.30pm on a freezing winter afternoon, Charlotte, aged 13, her two brothers, sister, and parents sit shivering in a bus shelter on the promenade in Minehead, Devon.

Charlotte's dad, Lee, has just spoken to the housing charity, Shelter, whose lawyer has been threatening to take Minehead council to court if they did not house the family.

He tells the children: "Now, we've only got to hold out for two hours, and then hopefully if the judge makes that decision we're being treated wrongly... we've all got to hold on together."

Read on

3 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

The standard of living is definately on the slide in our country.

Mick & Cathy said...

I posted before adding I think the government relies on charities propping up the system too much. Our supstantial taxes need spending on the real issues.

airliebird58 said...

Well thats it. I tend to believe charity begins at home. I think its a damn disgrace people are homeless in this country in 2006. I heard on the radio that there are 1,500,000 children classed as homeless in this country, and all Blair is bothered about is swanning about on the world stage playing the big 'I am'