Saturday, November 10, 2007

Argghhh! Christmas!


There was a time when I loved Christmas, and really looked forward to it. I can remember around this time of year we used to buy the TV guides, to see what smashing programmes where being lined up for us to watch. I always used to have a look to see if there was going to be any really old movies to be shown. Especially a bit of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers. I LOVE those films! In fact I'm quite a sucker for old films generally, I'll have to do a post about my favourites.
But for now back to Christmas, after I got married, and had my girls, I still enjoyed Christmas. It was very hectic and busy but I loved watching my daughters open their presents. That made up for everything else.
NOW it is one big hassle from start to end. Work is mad, (working in a pub I'm there Xmas Eve and New Years Eve as standard). You worry about what presents to get everyone, and whether you will have enough cash to afford it all. Christmas Day for me is mainly spent in the kitchen. At least we've got a dishwasher now and I wont spend ages washing up!
This year is going to be very strange. Michelle is in Japan of course, and my youngest daughter, Kirsty will be spending her 1st Christmas living with her boyfriend. Boxing Day is usually spent at my in laws, but my Father in Law is still in hospital so that get together wont happen this year. Anyway, it falls on a normal work day for me, so I will be in over teatime I would think.
Ah well, there's always the hope of a bit of Fred and Ginger on the TV!

1 comment:

Mick & Cathy said...

I think you sort of hit the nail on the head. As we all get older Christmas actually becomes more of a hassle. I think its more about kids than anything else.
Personally in the last few years I've worked a lot of Christmas weeks to allow others with kids the time off. This year will be different so I don't really know what I'll do.
Anyway one thing for sure there will certainly be some old films on the TV.