Saturday, September 23, 2006

Feeling sorry for myself.

And I am, feeling sorry for myself.
I have the misfortune to have had osteo-arthritis in both knees for quite a while now. But the last couple of years it has got worse, so I was sent to have some gel injections yesterday. The aim is to re-cushion the knee joint, and help with the pain.
It wasnt a fun experience I must admit, and while I was there I learned that it is a course of 3 sets of injections. the other two being next Friday and the Friday after.
Now, the thing is, you have to keep off your feet when you have these for the rest of the day. I was all set to go to St Helens to watch my beloved Hull FC in the playoffs, ticket was bought and coach seat was booked. Now I cant go! At least its on TV.
The thing is to, with us ending up 2nd in the league, we go to play the league leaders. The winner goes straight through to the Grand final. The loser has another try and plays at home to the team that gets through the rest of the playoffs. So if we do loose our next game will be the Friday after.........so I'll miss that again!!! Well, I might risk it. At least I can sit at a home game, at St Helens It would be standing after a long coach trip.
Anyway, I cheered myself up watching this video on you tube

Ooo and Leeds United winning this aftie cheered me up too!

7 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

You look after yourself, It may seem daft but make them knees last as long as you can.
My mother had the same problem so I know a little bit about what its like.

I hope Hull win I reckon its a big advantage to play a match less.

airliebird58 said...

Thats the plan. apparently I'm too young to have new ones, and they last about 10 yrs, then the next lot last 5 yrs and thats your lot.
Just one of those times when you have to make the most of a bad job :)

phil said...

will they miss your psychic powers. lol.

airliebird58 said...

Ah, you may jest. But We passed Elland Rd on Thursday and I blew em all a kiss, that sorted em out didn't it? ;) lol.

phil said...

no. sacking blackwell did!!!

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
On the Knees I agree the longer you wait the better because the technology is improving all the time.
My mother has had numerous joints done and 1st one she was in hospital ages. Nowadays people are in and out in a few days. Also the success rate is far higher.
I don't know if you take Cod Liver Oil tablets my mother swears by them.
I think also you need to make sure you get enough calcium to make sure they last as long as possible.
The main thing is maintaining quality of life.

airliebird58 said...

Thanks for your thoughts Mick. I do take cod liver oil tablets, and evening primrose and omega 3 too lol. Youre right about medicine improving too. These gel injections are a pretty new thing :)
My life has changed the last couple of years, I dont get out as much as I did. I dont drive and used to walk everywhere, now I have to pace myself.
I've got a good husband who ferrys me about though bless him :)