Friday, September 01, 2006

Right on the button.

I've always been interested in American Politics, maybe because what happens there can effect us in the UK so much. (Which is very true at this present time)
So, I do watch some American newscasts. One of my favourites was a programme that we only could watch on Friday nights over here on CNBC (Its shown every weekday in the US) Called Countdown with Keith Olbermann. He covers the top 5 stories of the day with some wit it must be said. Unfortunately CNBC decided to stop showing this programme for infomercials instead!
Anyway now, I follow Keith by watching clips of his show online.
Just now and again, when something gets his goat, he does a commentary giving his opinion. His last one was aimed at the US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, but also had a wider look at how people who dissent against the government in the US are branded traitors and even facists. We have similar things here with Blair, looking as if he's listening to other points of view, then just going on his merry way, doing as he bloody well likes! He is right and everyone else is wrong.
Anyway, I wont go on (because believe me I can!) But I was so impressed with Keith Olbermann's commentary I'm going to post a link to it here. It was bloody damn refreshing to see someone with a bit of eloquence putting over a point.
YouTube link

3 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

I don't reckon a lot to British Politics never mind American

airliebird58 said...

Some fabulous crooks amongst em though. I find that fascinating :)

Rachel said...

Interesting about the alleged branding - the problem may be in what they are dissenting about and the way they are wording it.

I love different points of view but people like movie stars - Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin, Chris Noth - are so arrogant in making their statements and so obviously anti-Bush, it does create an atmosphere of not wanting nor caring to hear what they say. They get terribly irrational and emotional and just basically act like morons.

The press here is very very liberal, very much supports dissension and the Democratic party so kind of take what that guy says with a grain of salt.