Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Anniversary bugs!


As I write there is 10 minutes left of my 26th wedding anniversary, and as per usual the Hubster is away working! Except for last year (because it was our Silver wedding) something always crops up and he has to go away to work. At the moment he is in France. It's not his fault of course, these things just crop up. But it can be annoying!

Talking about things annoying, last night I clicked on a file that someone had sent me over Msn Messenger. Now I'm usually very careful, as I know there are a lot of viruses about. But the message accompanying the file said 'I've just dyed my hair take a look. ' Now as this person is always dyeing their hair I clicked on the file. WRONG! It was a virus that went on to send the file, and messages to all my on line pals! It was murder trying to get around them all telling them not to open the file!
Anyway, since then I've been trying to get rid of it. I thought I'd cracked it a couple of times, then about 10 minutes into being signed into Messenger, it would kick in again!!!
I've done scan after scan today and nothing! Then I did an on line scan at the Kaspersky site, it found some infected files but you had to buy the product to remove them which was a pain. So I tried to Remove them myself but they kept coming back! Then tonight I noticed on the Kaspersky list there was another iffy file I had missed, called service.exe in the Windows System32 folder. Now a file called services.exe (note the plural) is a real file. but service.exe isnt! Eureka! I thought. But yes, you guessed it, the little blighter wouldn't delete!
Well I did some digging and found a little program called Killbox, and that deleted it straight away!
As of writing I have been on Messenger for a couple of hours and all seems ok. (Fingers crossed)
So the moral of this story is: if you are sent a file on Messenger and you don't know what it is, ask the sender before the click!

No comments: