Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Engrish!

One of my daughter Shells favourite things about Japan is the way nearly everything has some random English written on it. More often than not it doesn't make a lot of sense. It seems to me that what they want to say is put through some sort of translation machine, and they get some strange results!
Here's a few pics she has sent me:
On a note pad:


Going into an arcade:



On the window of a Cafe I think:



On the side of a special type of photo booth: (you can decorate the pics and print them out as stickers apparently)



I'm sure I'll have plenty more to post in the future! :)

3 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

Some of these are so funny nearly as bad as what we speak, lol.

Moby Dick said...

What it really means is that those companies are too cheap to hire an English speaking person to do their editing or to review their advertising.

It probably happens in the other direction too, when products from English speaking companies are sent to foreign markets with ad copy that was put through a computer translation device instead of paying someone competent to do it.

airliebird58 said...

According to my daughter though, practically everything has some random English on it. either that or Hello Kitty! :)