Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Michelle in Japan.

My eldest daughter Shell has been in Japan over a week now and seems to be settling well. She didn't start her studies properly till yesterday, so has had that week to find her feet etc. I've been able to talk to her over Skype as I mentioned in an earlier post, and by email too. She has had to get a new mobile as Japanese mobiles run on a completely different bandwidth to ours. They also dont use texts like we do, but emails. She has a special email address and any emails I send her go straight to her phone. They have free allowances for emails as we do for texts over here. It's considered bad manners to speak over your phone on buses, trains etc (if only they did that here!) and so phone emails are very popular.
I have to say I'm really thankful for the technology that has helped me talk to her and keep in touch. Just a few years ago it would have been letters and the odd phone call wouldn't it?!!
It all helps to know she is alright, because I have to admit to worrying quite a lot this last few days!
I've just got a first batch of pics from her so I'll post a couple here. The first is the Entrance to the International House where she lives on campus, you can see the apartments in the background.

And heres a pic of a Shinto Shrine:


In just over half an hour the new Hull FC shirt for 2008 will be unveiled, so as soon as I get a pic I will post it!
Last night I had my first chance to see Leeds Utd on TV. It was a professional 1-0 win. Although 9 first teamers where rested, the lads looked well drilled and comfortable on the ball. We had our first look at the boy Da Costa, and he looks a bit of talent! Some of those lads looked SO young though, babies!! It does get disconcerting when you watch your team (I feel the same with Hull FC) and you realise that you are old enough to be their mothers! lol.

6 comments:

phil said...

just seen the hull fc kit. looks very traditional, was nice to see a club that (even if they arent)looked like it wasnt just about gaining as much from sponsorship as it was about giving fans what they want. lets just hope rovers bring out a white shirt with a single red band across the breast, but i wont hold my breath. my lad james liked it as well

airliebird58 said...

I really like the look of it too. It's the most traditional looking shirt since the early 90's easily. You could almost see Knocker playing in that!
The away shirt is pretty nice too, and wont be as hot to play in as a black kit. I just hope the fabric is a bit better, the last couple of shirts have been that thick polyester stuff that has no give and are very hot to wear! I went back to polo shirts this season just gone.

Mick & Cathy said...

I didn't see the match last night but I understand from various reports some of the younger players looked good.

I'm pleased your daughter is settling in well.

airliebird58 said...

There was some very promising looking lads out there on Tues night. The lad who scored the goal,signed from newcastle, his name escapes me at the mo, but he looked smashing. One thing I like about Wisey is he's not afraid of giving the young uns a go. I like that.

Shelly Woo said...

It's Shinto Mam, not Shintu!!

airliebird58 said...

Ah right, I stand corrected lol