Saturday, June 02, 2007

I may have told this story before.

Apologies if I have. As many supporters of 'The Sith' like to remind us, Hull FC merged with the Gateshead Thunder in 1999. Now I'm not going to go into the whys and wherefores about this, but before the merger was announced, there was more that a distinct possibility the club had had it. I was quite desolate to think the club I had supported for (then) 20 years would be gone.
I remember the day when we all expected to hear that it would be official, I was sat on the sofa listening to Radio Humberside to hear the bad news when this song came on. Straight after it finished the announcement was made that the merger had been decided by the RFL and one of the loves of my life was safe!
Now this song is like a bit of a good luck charm for me where Hull FC are concerned, it doesn't always work, but it always cheers me up when we're not doing so well.

Five - Keep on Moving


5 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

Ok the song is a good luck charm but couldn't it be anything else but "Five".

phil said...

could the relevance of five be the fact that this was how many poor gateshead players survived in this "takeover" oops sorry i mean merger.

airliebird58 said...

Well all I can say about that pearl of wisdom Phil is 'Salary Cap'. The squads had to be pared down didn't they? We did keep Stanley though remember. :)

phil said...

yes and he soon jumped ship. after he refused to sign for you originally it was a rather dramatic thing to do just to get his signature!!!!!

airliebird58 said...

Well we didn't expect him to stay very long, especially after his 'cut me in half and I'm red and white' quote. Hull fans where always nice to him though as I recall :)