Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Floods and new half backs.

I haven't posted for a couple of days as I've been pretty busy. As I said in my last post, my daughter came home at the weekend, so the house has been full of bags and boxes. Things are getting back to normal inside but outside it has been awful.
I thought the week before last was bad for continuous rain, but yesterday took the biscuit. It was the speed that the streets flooded in my area that was amazing. I went out in the morning, taking a cab as the weather was so foul, when I came back a couple of hours later, the top half of our street was a foot or so under water! Luckily it didn't seem to reach our end as badly, but I still had to put towels at the bottom of the front door. That of course is nothing to what some poor folk have had to attend with.
Someone on the radio said the other week that the fashion for concreting over gardens contributes to the drains being flooded, as gardens soak up a lot of water. I do believe our garden helped us a lot yesterday, both front and back.



Anyway, onto the new half backs part. As you may know, I've had my heart set on Brent 'Shifty' Sherwin joining the Black n Whites. Thing is, he's playing up a storm for the Canterbury Bulldogs, so they're not going to let him go. (Although I still think the kidnapping option is a goer)
After much rumour, we have signed St George Illawarra half back Mathew Head for the rest of the season. I don't know a great deal about Mathew, only seeing a few clips of him play on line. The word is he is a great player, but has been very unlucky with injury. So him coming here could help both parties. We need an experienced half-back and Mathew needs game time to prove his fitness etc.
This signing could be the silver lining of the cloud that's been hovering over the club this season. He is only 25, and can kick goals to boot! (no pun intended there!)
He may make his debut for the FC on Sunday (jet lag and flooding permitting) I look forward to see how he goes.
Welcome to the mighty Hull FC Mathew!

2 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

Sorry to hear about the floods, i hope you escape any major damage,

airliebird58 said...

Hi, yes we were lucky, I only had to put some towels at my front door. but I have a cousin and an aunt and uncle that have their homes ruined. It's been amazing how certain areas have been swamped and some are ok. 2 houses opposite my house had to be pumped out.