Sunday, July 15, 2007

Fridays game.

I went to the game on Friday, with all that's been going on this past week, my Father in law falling ill, and having to cancel our holiday, well, I needed the time out.
We won, beating the Harlequins 20-8. A patchy 1st half it has to be said, we went in at half time 8-8, all of our points being penalties. 2nd half we looked more composed and played to the conditions (very wet!) Through a bad run of injuries we had some really young lads in the squad. One who came in at hooker, Danny Houghton, is only 17/18 and had a great game. The great Richard Swain has apparently been giving him some 1 to 1 tuition and you can tell by how he scoops up the ball at the ruck, his distribution was accurate and he wasn't scared of trying things. What a little diamond the lad is! I always feel really proud when you see local lads come through the ranks. We have a great academy set up at Hull and a new wave of talent is starting to come through.
The back to back wins has helped us no end, and I don't think a top 6 spot is out of the question. I can't see a Grand Final appearance again this year, but I think we'll do some damage!
Write us off at your peril!

I tell you what though, it's times like this when being able to go to a game and forget about all the stuff going on around you for a couple of hours, illustrates why Hull FC are so important to the fans (as are other clubs to their supporters of course)they're a constant in peoples upside down lives.

2 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

I reckon all fans whatever the team like to see the young uns coming through the ranks.

airliebird58 said...

Yes and local lads too. Makes you quite proud :)