Sunday, November 02, 2008

Rugby Rant

Now forgive me if this reads a bit like a stream of conscience here but I'm a bit pissed off!
I've just watched the Aussies beat England 50-4 in the RL World Cup.
We where tonked it has to be said. The Aussies are excellent at what they do, they are well drilled in defence, accurate when they pass and always have players in the right place at the right time. What they do not do in my opinion is CREATE anything. I fell in love with the game in the late 70's, when attacks had finesse and a bit of the unexpected. This is where our game has changed. All the players are far fitter than of old of course, they're professional full time players, but it seems that any sort of off the cuff play anything unexpected has been all but erased from our game. The only team who play the game I love are St Helens, even my beloved Hull FC have succumbed in some ways to playing the 'Aussie way'
Just to try and illustrate my point, lets look at the Loose Forward position. I was raised on the genius of Steve 'Knocker' Norton, and Mick Crane. They created and acted like an extra half back, nowadays they just make up the numbers in the scrum.
People say that the amount of foreign players should be cut, but I think the real damage to the English game has been a succession of Aussie coaches.
We must go back to our roots, by all means take heed of the Aussie's fitness and defensive qualities, and how they prepare for games. But for God sake lets get the English style of rugby back!

No comments: