Tuesday, November 04, 2008

US Elections.



After what has seemed like an eternity, the US elections are here. US politics has always fascinated me, and I'll be up until the early hours, watching the results come in.
It is looking very likely indeed that Barack Obama will be the next President, and although I have misgivings about him (mainly because he reminds me so much of Tony Blair, who I couldn't stand) if I was American, I would most probably vote for him.
He does seem to be pretty left wing, and that is the way I lean. But will he be too far to the left for a lot of Americans? I seem to get the impression that a lot don't have the same concept of the left as we do in this country. We'll just have to wait and see what Obama is able to do change wise, of course that will depend how well the Democrats do in the Senate and House of Representatives.
What Obama does have in spades is an fantastic image, and what the US needs now most of all is an image makeover. Mr Obama will provide this without a doubt. I hope he uses all the goodwill wisely if he is eventually elected.
As for his opponent John McCain, I think his chance to run came too late. He seems a decent man, with lots of integrity. But it has to be said that his age is the one elephant in the room that no one can ignore. Being US President is a terribly demanding job, and a man in his 70's, no matter how fit mentally and physically cannot guarantee how long he will continue to be so. This is where his choice of running mate has been fundamental. Sarah Palin obviously isn't the idiot she is painted to be, or she wouldn't have gotten to where she is today. But she just as obviously isn't ready to step in as President of the USA. Simple as.
As I have posted before, in the primary process to elect the candidate, I was rooting for Hillary Clinton.
In my view neither of the men on today's ballot has the experience, intelligence and class of this lady.
But then she is just that, a lady. I hope I live to see a woman in worlds top job some day.

2 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

You have put this so well, couldn't agree more.

airliebird58 said...

Thanks very much Mick. I hope I'm wrong about Obama, and I'm always willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt. It will be interesting indeed to see how he goes. The man has raised a lot of hopes. I think he's created a rod for his own back personally.