Friday, May 04, 2007

Has Batesy played a blinder?

As regular readers will know, I support 2 teams, one rugby and one football. One thing that both Hull FC and Leeds Utd have in common (apart from being supported by my good self) is that things are never quiet or plain sailing for long.
The last week or so I've wrote about Paul Cooke doing a runner to Rovers, that has quietened down a tad, but it'll kick up a notch tomorrow when we play the Sith (avec le Cooke) at Cardiff.
Today Leeds Utd caught up. We went into administration, then Chairman Ken Bates set up a new company and bought the club back off the administrators. Now I have the feeling he has played a blinder. We get our 10 point penalty this season, (which doesn't really matter as were going down anyway) Clear our debts, and have a fresh start next season.
Of course folk are up in arms, 'It shouldn't be allowed!!' they cry. But this goes on in business circles all the time, OK morally you could make a argument against it. But if you want my opinion, the dire straights we found ourselves in needed these sort of measures. As long as jobs are protected I have to say its all seems a bit of a master stroke.
Time will tell.

And on to tomorrow's Millenium Magic. All Super League clubs are playing over the weekend, at Cardiff's Millenium Stadium. All games are 'derby' games, well nearly, Le Catalan and Harlequins can hardly be called a derby, but all the other teams where paired off!
So we play the Sith tomorrow like I mentioned earlier. The Hubby and I are off to the pub to watch the game.
May the best team win.....
which of course will be the Mighty Hull FC!!!! Come on you Hullaaaaaaaaahhh!

6 comments:

phil said...

did you hear sports talk on radio humberside tonight? i dont know if its true or not but it said that 40,000 tickets had been given away to the sheep sha**ers (oops sorry i mean the welsh)i wouldnt be suprised though.

airliebird58 said...

I gave up listening to them this week, If they aren't bashing the FC they're having a go at Leeds Utd. Very silly I think considering its a fair portion of their listeners. Hull FC fans of course listen, but there are a fair few Leeds fans in this part of the world, you'd be surprised!
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they gave away a lot of tickets, as far as I know they aren't allowing paying on the day.
I'm looking forward to the match though, mainly as we're going to the pub and having our tea out lol.

Mick & Cathy said...

If what Batesy has done upsets the football world who cares they can't hate us anymore.

As for the Welsh they are one of my favorite subjects, total morons.

airliebird58 said...

I couldn't give a tinkers cuss what others think of us. What this has done is given us an even playing field for next season. Something we haven't had for some time!

voyeur said...

am i reading this correctly? a leeds fan saying that league 1 gives leeds a level playing field, is this what your expectations have come to? lol

airliebird58 said...

Thanks for visiting voyeur. Well yes unfortunately things have come to this, I was talking about the financial situation as I'm sure you know really :o).
For about 6 yrs we've given everyone a laugh, but you know what they say.....
He who laughs last laughs the longest.